Merrick Commits to Net Zero Across U.K. Operations by 2050
Merrick is excited to announce our commitment to achieving net zero emissions across our UK operations by the year 2050, ranging from travel to office energy sources. To achieve this goal, we have set a target to reduce our Scope 1, 2, and 3 global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 20% within the next four years following the establishment of a carbon baseline, which commenced in 2021.
As an organisation, we are committed to be net zero by 2050 and to contribute to a sustainable environment for all, promoting a healthier and thriving planet for future generations.
Our Net Zero Carbon Strategy (to be published in late 2022) will set out how Merrick will achieve our carbon reduction targets. To ensure compliance and achievement of this goal by 2050, Merrick will monitor progress and regularly revisit this plan.
While we are currently in the beginning stages to achieve Net Zero by 2050, we have identified the following carbon reduction targets that will be adopted in the formal plan:
- Reduce fuel consumption of fleet vehicles.
- Implement recycling programs in all Merrick offices to include batteries.
- Promote carbon reduction education programs for employees.
- Minimize waste by evaluating operational practices and ensuring they are as efficient as possible and have minimal environmental impact.
- Use water, energy, and other natural resources responsibly.
- Promote and invest in technologies, work practices, and processes that provide alternatives to business travel, such as using Microsoft Teams for meetings and limiting office hours through work from home and/or flex schedules.
- Promote commuting with fellow coworkers and encourage employee owners to ride a bike or walk to the office when possible.
- Raise awareness amongst employee owners on environmental issues and support and encourage ideas and suggestions for improved environmental performance.
- Commit to a Zero Waste goal by 2050: we will reuse or recycle 100% of e-waste such as computers and servers, as well as recycle all office furniture, and will eliminate single-use plastic bottles in our offices.
- Promote products and services that support carbon reduction plan goals.
- Expand UK personnel to reduce travel burden and emissions.